Permanent Resident Card

Permanent residents (PRs) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires. If your PR card expires, it does not mean you have lost permanent resident status.

Permanent Resident Card

The permanent resident card (PR Card) is the official proof of your status as a permanent resident in Canada.

You need a PR Card if:

  • you are a permanent resident (including a child);
  • you plan on travelling outside of Canada; and
  • you plan on returning to Canada by any commercial transporter, such as a plane, train, boat or bus.

Who may use this application

Use this application if you are a permanent resident in Canada who wants to apply for:

  • your first PR Card;
  • a renewal of your PR Card that has or will soon expire;
  • a replacement of your PR Card that has been lost, stolen or damaged; or
  • to change the sex designation on your PR Card.

Interested in submitting an application under this category? Please click here for free consultation.