Study Permit

Canada has one of the best and most respected education systems in the world. Every year, thousands of students from other countries pursue their educational goals in Canada.

With new ways to gain valuable Canadian work experience during and after your studies, the advantages of studying in Canada are great. There are also permanent immigration options for international students who have graduated from post-secondary programs in Canada.

International Students in Canada may be eligible to apply for Permanent Residents in Canada.

Where to submit an application: Since April 1, 2005, applicants are required to submit their application for a temporary resident visa, study permit or work permit to the visa office that is responsible for serving the country in which the applicant has been lawfully admitted; or the applicant’s country of nationality, or, if the applicant is stateless, their country of habitual residence.

Persons exempt from the requirement for a study permit
Not everyone is required to obtain a study permit in order to study in Canada. A foreign national is exempt from the requirement of a study permit in the following situations: 

 Short-term courses
If the program of studies is six months or less, a study permit is not required. This exemption is valid for any course or program that is complete by itself.

Foreign nationals may enter Canada or remain in Canada without a study permit to attend a course or program of studies of six months’ duration or less. This six-month criterion helps to facilitate easy access to short-term courses, regardless of their subject matter. The course or program of study should be completed within the period (normally six months) authorized upon entry. 

Example: An ESL student with a six-month authorization to remain in Canada, who was not issued a study permit before or upon entry into Canada, may attend a four-month course in Canada without a study permit, but may not extend their status in order to continue with a subsequent four-month course.  

Foreign nationals in Canada without a study permit wishing to enrol in subsequent educational programs must apply outside of Canada and obtain a study permit in the normal manner (e.g., at a Canadian mission abroad) unless the program of study is a short-term course (of a duration of less than six months) and can be completed within the original period of stay authorized upon entry.

Note:  To further their studies or to be eligible to work on the campus of the university or college at which they are full-time students, foreign nationals will need a study permit, for which they must usually apply outside Canada. It is therefore recommended that foreign nationals apply for a study permit for programs of six months or less when they intend to apply for another program afterwards or work on the campus of the university or college at which they are full-time students. 

 Minor children in Canada
Minor children are defined as those who are under the age of majority, as set out by each province or territory at the time of their arrival in Canada. In Canada, each province and territory decides the age of majority. Anyone under the age of majority is considered to be a “minor child.”

 Age of majority
The age of majority varies from one province to another:

Age of majority is 18 in: Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan

Age of majority is 19 in: British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Yukon

Age of Majority is 18
Every minor child in Canada, other than a child of a temporary resident not authorized to work or study, is authorized to study at the pre-school, primary, or secondary level. Minor children applying outside Canada will require a study permit.

If the minor in Canada is with two parents, one of whom is a temporary resident not authorized to work or study, while the other parent is authorized to work or study, or is a permanent resident, or a Canadian citizen, then the minor would be authorized to study at the pre-school, primary, or secondary level, without a study permit.

Note:  This exemption from the requirement for a study permit for minors is only applicable when the minor is in Canada.

Minor students destined for Quebec

Minor applicants who are destined for Quebec must fulfil custodianship requirements of both CIC and the Quebec government. All these students must apply and be approved for a CAQ before entering Canada.

Interested in submitting an application under this category? Pleaseclick here for free assessment.