Visitor’s Visa

Foreign nationals are allowed into Canada as temporary residents by privilege. It provides that a foreign national becomes a temporary resident if an officer is satisfied that they have applied for that status, and are not inadmissible. Temporary residents include foreign nationals entering Canada as visitors on temporary resident visas and as workers or students on work and/or study permits.


Not everyone is required to obtain a temporary resident visa before arriving at a port of entry.

 An intention by a foreign national to become a permanent resident does not preclude them from becoming a temporary resident if the officer is satisfied that they will leave Canada by the end of the period authorized for their stay. The person’s desire to work, study or visit in Canada before or during the processing of an application for permanent residence may be legitimate.

Types of temporary resident visas
General Requirement
Applicants for temporary residence with in-Canada applications for permanent residence in progress
Implied status
Extending your stay
Loss of temporary resident status

Types of temporary resident visas
There are two types: a single entry visa and a multiple entry visa. Both are valid for a fixed period and cannot be used after they expire.

A single-entry visa: may be issued up to six months before the expected date of travel; and should have an expiry date of at least one month after the expected date of arrival in Canada.   

A multiple-entry visa: allows the holder to seek entry into Canada from any country as often as necessary during the validity of the visa. It has a maximum validity date of up to five years or one month prior to the expiry date on the passport/re-entry visa, whichever is earlier.

 Persons who have been issued single-entry visas and are still within the period authorized for their stay in Canada may travel to the U.S. and back. They will not have to obtain a second temporary resident visa to re-enter Canada.

All visa applicants will automatically be considered for a multiple entry visa. The visa officer reviewing your application may be able to give you this type of visa even if you applied for a single entry visa.

General Requirement:

  • have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
  • be in good health,
  • convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country,
  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit, and
  • have enough money for your stay. (The amount of money you will need can vary. it depends on things like how long you will stay, and whether you will stay in a hotel or with friends or relatives.)

You may also need:

  • a Temporary Resident Visa, depending on your citizenship
  • a medical examination; and
  • a letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada.

Applicants for temporary residence with in-Canada applications for permanent residence in progress. 

The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its Regulations permit certain foreign nationals to apply for permanent residence from within Canada. Given that processing times for in-Canada applications can be lengthy, in some instances, an applicant may voluntarily and temporarily leave Canada during the processing of their application.

When processing applications for temporary resident visas for foreign nationals with an application for permanent residence in Canada in progress, officers should take into consideration whether approval in principle (first-stage approval) has been granted. It is consistent with IRPA, and in the best interests of both CIC and the applicant, to facilitate the re-entry of these applicants as temporary residents in order to continue processing their application for permanent residence from within Canada.

Note: Officers should note that issuing a temporary resident visa (TRV) to facilitate return will permit these applicants to be granted permanent residence from within Canada. A temporary resident permit (TRP) will not.

All in-Canada class applicants, except those in the spouse and common-law partner in Canada class and the permit holder class, must not be inadmissible at the time of their PR application. Therefore, if these TRV applicants return to Canada on temporary resident permits (TRP), they are, by definition, inadmissible and their applications for permanent residence from within Canada will be refused,  regardless of how close to finalization the application is at the CPC-V or at an inland CIC office. In-Canada officers have no option but to refuse these applications.

Note: TRVs should not be issued to applicants as a means of facilitating entry into Canada for the purpose of submitting an application for permanent residence in Canada.

Implied status
A temporary resident must apply to extend their period of authorized stay before it ends. If they have done so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident is extended by law until a decision is made. Such a person is considered to have implied status as a temporary resident during that period.

If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions pending a determination of their application for renewal) apply only as long as the person remains in Canada.

A temporary resident with implied status who has left Canada may be allowed to re-enter Canada as a temporary resident, pending a decision on the renewal of their application to study or work in Canada, provided they are TRV exempt or on a multiple-entry visa. They may not resume work or study in Canada until their application for renewal has been granted. For those not able to resume work, they must satisfy the BSO that they have sufficient means of support. (Note that this applies to foreign nationals who are TRV exempt and to those on multiple-entry visas.) be allowed to apply for a new work or study permit at the port of entry provided they have a right to do so.


$100 individual – multiple or single entry

$500 maximum fee for a family – single or multiple entry

Extending your Stay
The visa expiration date is shown on the visa along with the date the visa was issued.  The time between when the visa was issued and the visa expiration date is called your visa validity. The visa validity is the length of time you have to travel to a port of entry in Canada. A visa does not guarantee you entry to Canada. It permits you to travel to Canada.

If you wish to extend your status date, you should apply 30 days before your status expires in order to do any of the following: extend your visitor, student or work status change the type of permit you hold (for example,  from a student to a work permit)

Loss of temporary resident status
If a worker, student or temporary resident has lost temporary resident status only because of the expiry of their status, they must apply within 90 days of the expiry date, for restoration of status and pay the appropriate cost recovery fee. Officers will restore current status of visitor, student or worker rather than issue a TRP so as to avoid giving the individual greater privileges.

Interested in submitting an application under this category? Please click here for free consultation.